Chrisboy04

Little Amsterdam

So I've cleared my plot on the server and I'm currently working on a new project I'm calling Little Amsterdam (This title might stick around but Idk yet). It is a build based on Amsterdam (and a few other old Dutch cities). It's objective is to look nice and educate guests on Dutch history, It will feature shops, tourist spots and exhibits.

This is my current progress (after about (I think like) 10 hours of work):

2018-10-18_19_08_57.thumb.png.e926736d25c87be24dd6b95cc14c6e82.png

• Like 1

Though I'm a wee bit late to the conversation, I must add that you portrayed the signature dams of many Dutch cities extremely well-- I'm impressed! However, I do have two small pieces of feedback for you (though I'm quite sure you were aware of it). Of course, I understand that you probably aren't making the Little Amsterdam a 1;1 scale of the real city, but for the sake of adding more authentic charm to your build, I suggest you change a few minor things for future buildings.

If we look at some examples of typical streets, you can see that the buildings lining the canals are extremely narrow and almost "collide" into each other from the lack of space between them. I noticed with your first building (the larger one) is... well... Larger than the average "townhouse" model houses Amsterdam has. However, this is such a minor detailing "error" that you could leave your buildings at different, bigger size - or even just divide it into about three smaller buildings. Whatever you prefer!

ex. proxy.duckduckgo.thumb.jpg.5075437ecd6bef8e179ef9dcc4e53c56.jpg     proxy.duckduckgo.thumb.jpg.be24778c964f8e66229f35b4830a7870.jpg 

Secondly, as we can see in the examples provided above, Amsterdam has a unique roofing style and even though your roofs are a bit flat now, you could simply integrate the detailed shapes on top later as a detail. This is just another small thing that you absolutely don't necessarily have to worry about.
proxy.duckduckgo.png.f3c0bd4f440f1cc212365407b54cb7c3.png < Minecraft reference that you can look at if you'd like

Nice progress on this! Keep building.

Edited by Snowypaw
  • Like 2

Thanks @Snowypaw, I know that one of the buildings is way too big to be a building in the real Amsterdam, but the big building at the front of the bottom picture is an art exhibit so I stretched the building out a bit, and as for the roofs I'm trying to make those kinds of roof bit I couldn't find a good enough picture so thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

32 minutes ago, Chrisboy04 said:

Thanks @Snowypaw, I know that one of the buildings is way too big to be a building in the real Amsterdam, but the big building at the front of the bottom picture is an art exhibit so I stretched the building out a bit, and as for the roofs I'm trying to make those kinds of roof bit I couldn't find a good enough picture so thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

No problem, @Chrisboy04! If you need a little bit of extra help with the roofs and small details - don't be afraid to ask me. 
I can't wait to see another update on your project soon :) 

image.thumb.png.297d675aed1c4b5982d225cf9515cfc6.png

Construction has started on the "Delfts blauwe huisjes" (A fancy dutch art style used on pottery and tiles.) This will be used for a show we're working on.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.